In-house Counsel, Real Estate and Construction Attorney
Gainsville, GA 30504 US
The Opportunity: We are seeking their Real Estate In-House Counsel who will oversee legal activities for the business and is responsible for providing expert legal advice and counsel in conjunction with real estate purchases/divestitures, rezoning, merger and acquisitions, procurement contracts, asset protection, tactical matters, and ligation. In addition, the position will manage complex agreements for operations as well as provide general and employment law guidance including compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws, employment issues associated with corporate acquisitions and divestitures, diversity issues and wage and hour compliance. The In-House Counsel also manages the engagement and services provided by outside counsel.
The Client: Our client is a boutique real estate investment and development company specializing in the acquisition and development of commercial, multifamily, residential, and mixed-use properties in Gainesville, GA. Its subsidiaries, created to provide development and management services, which include design and procurement, general contracting, and operations.
- Rezoning representation and Land development application preparation and negotiation
- Identify, analyze, and advise on all legal issues for the organization, balancing legal issues with business risk. Identify legal and enterprise risk and required internal controls and processes to ensure that the organization maintains compliance with the law, with sound business practices and with ethical requirements.
- Draft and assist in the training and implementation of processes and procedures designed to accomplish this goal. Engage and manage the activity of outside counsel, with the goal of minimizing the organization’s legal costs and obtaining highest quality services.
- Adapt strategic model to specific and varied local legal, regulatory, and business requirements, often across multiple disciplines and in cooperation with the company’s business units.
- Assist with the negotiation of real estate acquisitions and of financing agreements with various investors.
- Manage all legal aspects of acquisition and financing transactions and act as transaction coordinator.
- Advise on and provide support for construction law matters, including risk mitigation, externalizing liabilities, optimizing change order provisions, insurance, etc. and minimizing warranty exposures.
- Manage all the organization’s litigation (including claims by third parties which did not reach the litigation stage).
- Work with the appropriate business units to resolve claims, contract disputes and litigation, including by providing any needed legal advice.
Compensation & Benefits Offered:
- Competitive Compensation Package
- Remote work
- Generous Holiday Allowance
- Exceptional benefits including elective Medical, Dental, Vision, and Short-Term Disability coverage.
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Minimum of 5-10 years of experience as Partner or Jr Partner of a large firm
- Litigation experience a plus, but not required. Juris Doctorate (JD) / Licensed in the State of GA
- Real Estate transactions 4-years Employment & Labor Law 1 year experience
- Must have: Commercial real estate and corporate transactional background. Multifamily and/or industrial experience, land use, rezoning
- Keen business sense and financial acumen, with a desire to grow a business
- Ability to manage pressure and looming deadlines.
- Excellent people skills, analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, drafting ability
- Excellent academic credentials
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong organizational, and management skills
- The ability to assimilate information quickly
- Work effectively in a fast-paced, exciting environment